Sorry. You need to upgrade your browser

You are using Internet Explorer 8

This is considered an out of date browser. This website has been developed with modern browsers in mind to allow it to display at its best in a wide variety of viewing situations - including mobile viewing. But we haven't supported older browsers like IE8. Please upgrade to the latest version of Internet Explorer - or try Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. Both are excellent browsers.

Thank you.

Chartered Certified Accountants
and Business Advisors

01530 267320

Do you always have to issue a VAT invoice?

It’s no coincidence businesses that poor records and paperwork are more likely to fail. Tax rules, especially those for VAT, impose paperwork obligations and failing to meet them could land you with a fine!


There is actually only one situation where you are required by law to issue an invoice, that is where you and your customer are both VAT registered.


Remember: A receipt is NOT the same as an invoice, it is just an acknowledgment on payment. Whilst must of the information might be the same, an invoice must include certain information that a receipt typically doesn’t.


So, you CAN refuse to provide an invoice unless you are VAT registered and the customer can show they are making the purchase for a VAT-Registered business or other organisation. If you issue an invoice voluntarily or because you are required to, keep things simple!


Invoices can vary slightly depending on the value of the transaction and the nature of your business. The three types of invoices as follows:

  • A full invoice

  • A simplified invoice; and

  • A modified invoice

There is a long list of information that must appear on a full invoice, however, as a retail business you can issue a simplified invoice for sales of up to £250 which needs only the following:

  • Your name, address and VAT registration number

  • The tax point (usually the date of the sale)

  • A means of identifying the goods/services

  • The VAT-inclusive amount payable for each VAT rate applied and the VAT rate

A modified invoice is generally the same as a full one but can be used by retailers for sales in excess of £250 and only has to show the VAT inclusive value of sales.


Receipts and credit card slips can be modified to meet the requirements of VAT invoices. Most electronic tills etc. can be set up to produce VAT invoices.

11 Jun 2018

« Back to latest news

Latest news

What you need to know when your Company is Dormant...

A dormant company is not accountable for corporation tax purposes. There is no need to let Companies House know that you...

Click to read more >

Sence Alphabet

Do you know your Sence Alphabet? Annual Accounts Bookkeeping Compliant Digital ...

Click to read more >

VAT on hotel deposits

When you book a stay at a hotel for business use you usually have to put a deposit down at the time of booking, however,...

Click to read more >

Is it a Car or is it a Van?

The argument about whether a vehicle is a company car or van is back. It’s the differential in tax payable on company ...

Click to read more >

Teachers to have loans reimbursed

The government have now published details of how teachers in shortage subjects in certain parts of the country will be a...

Click to read more >

Tax and Paid Carers

When you foster children your local council will give you payments. HMRC treats paid foster and other carers as running ...

Click to read more >

Can a director be paid before trade begins?

New Companies often incur start-up costs before they begin trading. But… is it sensible from a tax and NI point of vie...

Click to read more >

Vat when incorporating your business

The motive for incorporating a business, that is working through a company instead of being self-employed or in partners...

Click to read more >

How can we help?




I rely on the expertise of Sence Accountancy for all my financial needs - end of year tax return, payroll and business advice.

Heulwen Howells
Kip McGrath Education Centres

Click to read the full testimonial >