Sorry. You need to upgrade your browser

You are using Internet Explorer 8

This is considered an out of date browser. This website has been developed with modern browsers in mind to allow it to display at its best in a wide variety of viewing situations - including mobile viewing. But we haven't supported older browsers like IE8. Please upgrade to the latest version of Internet Explorer - or try Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. Both are excellent browsers.

Thank you.

Chartered Certified Accountants
and Business Advisors

01530 267320

Do you know who controls your business?

The law requires all Limited Companies and LLPs to tell Companies House about the people with significant influence or control over the company.

The register of people with significant control (PSC) was introduced in April 2016 and replaced the Annual Return. The new PSC form improves corporate behaviour, deter money laundering and help to sanction those who hide their ownership or control of UK companies for the purpose of making it easier to hide illegal activities.

So, what is a PSC? In short, a PSC is anyone in the company who meets on or more of the conditions listed in the Peoples with Significant Control Regulations 2016 which state the following;

  • Holds, directly or indirectly, more than 25% of the shares.

  • Holds, directly or indirectly, more than 25% of the voting rights.

  • Holds the rights, directly or indirectly, to appoint or remove a majority of directors.

  • Otherwise has the right to exercise, or actually exercises, significant influence or control over the company.

  • Has the right exercise, or actually exercises, significant influence or control over the activities of a trust or firm which is not a legal person, the trustees or members of which would satisfy any of the four conditions above.

For most small companies the PSCs are likely to fall into the first and second categories above. The third, fourth and fifth categories are typically associated with more complex corporate structures.

What do I need to do? Once you have identified your PSCs you need to record their detail on your own PSC register and inform Companies House using a PSC01 form. You are also required to tell Companies House of any changes regarding your PSC within 14 days of the change using the other PSC forms that can be find on the Companies House website.

02 Jul 2018

« Back to latest news

Latest news

Employee Tax Relief on Business Expenses

HMRC is keen for employees to know that there is no need to use a professional claims company if they want to claim tax ...

Click to read more >

Your ongoing responsibilities for Payroll

Automatic Enrolment is a continuing process for employers " it doesn’t end once you have put your staff into a workp...

Click to read more >

Making Tax Digital (MTD) Important Information

From 1 April 2019, when all VAT registered businesses (with a taxable turnover above £85,000) will be required to keep ...

Click to read more >

Setting up as a Sole Trader

A Sole Trader means you are a one-man-band as self-employed. You don’t have a boss! When earning as a Sole Trade, a...

Click to read more >

Childcare Vouchers Scheme is now closed!

From 4th October 2018 the childcare voucher scheme is closed to new entrants, meaning those employees who are not regist...

Click to read more >

How can we help?




I would not hesitate to recommend the team at Sence, regardless of how long you have been in business and irrespective of the size of your business.

Rebecca Hogarth
Rebecca Hogarth

Click to read the full testimonial >