Sorry. You need to upgrade your browser

You are using Internet Explorer 8

This is considered an out of date browser. This website has been developed with modern browsers in mind to allow it to display at its best in a wide variety of viewing situations - including mobile viewing. But we haven't supported older browsers like IE8. Please upgrade to the latest version of Internet Explorer - or try Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. Both are excellent browsers.

Thank you.

Chartered Certified Accountants
and Business Advisors

01530 447999

What you need to know when your Company is Dormant...

A dormant company is not accountable for corporation tax purposes. There is no need to let Companies House know that you are not trading until it is time to file your annual accounts. However, you must tell HMRC as soon as you cease to trade and the company is in a dormant state, you can do this by writing to the corporation tax office letting them know the date it became dormant and your company UTR (unique taxpayer reference) and post it to the following address:


Corporation Tax Services
HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom


So what is a dormant Company?


This is a company that has no accounting transactions during the financial year meaning that it is ‘inactive’ for tax purposes because it is not involved in any kind of trading activity which includes:

  • Buying and selling goods and services

  • Renting or Purchasing of a property

  • Operating a payroll (including directors salary)

  • Issuing dividends

  • Earning Interest

  • Paying accounting fees through the business account

However, there are some activities that HMRC allow to be carried out whilst the company is dormant which include:

  • Payment of shares by subscribes (original shareholders)

  • Filing fees to Companies House

  • Late filing penalties

The reasons a company is dormant can vary, but here’s a few reasons why:

  • Protecting a brand name of a company

  • Restructuring the business

  • Holding assets

  • Temporary measure upon personal reasons (eg; death of close family member)

At the end of every financial year the company is required to file a set of accounts to Companies House no later than 9 months after the year end. When a company is dormant it is required to send a set of dormant company accounts (DCA) instead which is an AA02 form.

A dormant company is also still required to send an annual confirmation statement (CS01 Form) to let Companies House know that the information they hold for both the company and its directors/shareholders is still correct and up to date.


When you want to re-activate a dormant company you must inform HMRC within 3 months, if the company has traded in the past then you can simply sign in to your HMRC account and register it as ‘active’ for corporation tax. However, if the company has never traded before you will need to register the company for new services and select corporation tax.

10 Aug 2018

« Back to latest news

How can we help?




I rely on the expertise of Sence Accountancy for all my financial needs - end of year tax return, payroll and business advice.

Heulwen Howells
Kip McGrath Education Centres

Click to read the full testimonial >