Sorry. You need to upgrade your browser

You are using Internet Explorer 8

This is considered an out of date browser. This website has been developed with modern browsers in mind to allow it to display at its best in a wide variety of viewing situations - including mobile viewing. But we haven't supported older browsers like IE8. Please upgrade to the latest version of Internet Explorer - or try Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. Both are excellent browsers.

Thank you.

Chartered Certified Accountants
and Business Advisors

01530 267320

Fuel Rates Increase – April 2017

HMRC has updated its advisory fuel rates (AFRs) with effect from 1 April 2017. These are the rates for reimbursement of fuel costs which can be used by employers and employees to avoid the car fuel benefit in kind charge arising. The new fuel rates must be used from the 1st April. The table shows the new AFRs.

AFRs can also be used to work out the fuel element of mileage allowances that you pay to your employees for using their own cars for business, so you can reclaim VAT on them. For example, if you paid an allowance of 30p per mile to an employee with a 1,500cc petrol car, you can treat 14p as relating to fuel and reclaim VAT of 2.33p.



Petrol – amount per mile

LPG – amount per mile

Diesel – amount per mile

Up to 1,400cc




1041 – 2,000




Up to 1,600cc




1601 – 2,000cc




Over 2,000cc





If you need help and advice on advisory fuel rates, please contact Sence on 01530 267 320 or email

07 Apr 2017

« Back to latest news

Latest news

What you need to know when your Company is Dormant...

A dormant company is not accountable for corporation tax purposes. There is no need to let Companies House know that you...

Click to read more >

Sence Alphabet

Do you know your Sence Alphabet? Annual Accounts Bookkeeping Compliant Digital ...

Click to read more >

VAT on hotel deposits

When you book a stay at a hotel for business use you usually have to put a deposit down at the time of booking, however,...

Click to read more >

Is it a Car or is it a Van?

The argument about whether a vehicle is a company car or van is back. It’s the differential in tax payable on company ...

Click to read more >

Teachers to have loans reimbursed

The government have now published details of how teachers in shortage subjects in certain parts of the country will be a...

Click to read more >

Tax and Paid Carers

When you foster children your local council will give you payments. HMRC treats paid foster and other carers as running ...

Click to read more >

Can a director be paid before trade begins?

New Companies often incur start-up costs before they begin trading. But… is it sensible from a tax and NI point of vie...

Click to read more >

Vat when incorporating your business

The motive for incorporating a business, that is working through a company instead of being self-employed or in partners...

Click to read more >

How can we help?




Jake's support has been essential.

Carol Brookes
Able 2 Consulting LImited

Click to read the full testimonial >