Sorry. You need to upgrade your browser

You are using Internet Explorer 8

This is considered an out of date browser. This website has been developed with modern browsers in mind to allow it to display at its best in a wide variety of viewing situations - including mobile viewing. But we haven't supported older browsers like IE8. Please upgrade to the latest version of Internet Explorer - or try Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. Both are excellent browsers.

Thank you.

Chartered Certified Accountants
and Business Advisors

01530 447999

Rent a room scheme

One way many people improve their bank balance is to rent out their spare room! By signing up to the Rent a Room scheme, not only would you enjoy the extra income from the rent, but also up to £7,500 a year is tax free!

The be eligible for the scheme you need to own or rent a furnished accommodation. If you are renting your property you will just need permission from your own landlord to do so.

So, do you need to complete a tax return? No, if the amount you earn just from renting the room is less than the thresholds of the Rent a Room scheme, this means that your tax exemption is automatic, and you don’t need to do anything. If your rant earnings are higher than the threshold however, then you must complete a Self-Assessment Tax Return.

To read more about it visit the HMRC website!

03 Sep 2018

« Back to latest news

How can we help?




Finally an accountancy team that are thinking about our pennies as much as we are!

Helen Lamoon
Colab Enterprise Ltd

Click to read the full testimonial >