Sorry. You need to upgrade your browser

You are using Internet Explorer 8

This is considered an out of date browser. This website has been developed with modern browsers in mind to allow it to display at its best in a wide variety of viewing situations - including mobile viewing. But we haven't supported older browsers like IE8. Please upgrade to the latest version of Internet Explorer - or try Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. Both are excellent browsers.

Thank you.

Chartered Certified Accountants
and Business Advisors

01530 267320

Tax-free aid

Working from home is becoming increasingly common! There are few special tax provisions to help employees and employers in this situation for example an employer can pay a tax and NI-free allowance to cover additional domestic costs.

Employers can provide equipment for work which do not count as a benefit-in-kind as long as there is only minor personal use. But if the equipment is not specifically used to do the job it becomes a taxable perk for example a cup of coffee is nice to have before starting work however it is not compulsory to complete the job, so unfortunately the flash coffee machine I not allowed!

There is however, an exemption for equipment provided to disable employees to help to their job. This exemption applies whether they work from home or on a premises. This covers anything from wheelchairs to hearing aids, but the employee’s disability must fall under the Equality Act 2010 Access to work Scheme.

You can find detailed guidance on what actually counts as disabled for the purpose of the Access to Work scheme on GOV.UK. the key factors are that the employee must be:

  • Normally resident in, and working in, Great Britain

  • Aged 16 or over

  • Have a disability or long-term health condition that requires adaptation or financial or human support to do your job

  • Have a mental health condition and need support in work

Where the equipment has a personal benefit the exemption only applies if the main purpose of the equipment is for the job. The definition of ‘main’ being more than 50% use at work.

29 May 2018

« Back to latest news

Latest news

What you need to know when your Company is Dormant...

A dormant company is not accountable for corporation tax purposes. There is no need to let Companies House know that you...

Click to read more >

Sence Alphabet

Do you know your Sence Alphabet? Annual Accounts Bookkeeping Compliant Digital ...

Click to read more >

VAT on hotel deposits

When you book a stay at a hotel for business use you usually have to put a deposit down at the time of booking, however,...

Click to read more >

Is it a Car or is it a Van?

The argument about whether a vehicle is a company car or van is back. It’s the differential in tax payable on company ...

Click to read more >

Teachers to have loans reimbursed

The government have now published details of how teachers in shortage subjects in certain parts of the country will be a...

Click to read more >

Tax and Paid Carers

When you foster children your local council will give you payments. HMRC treats paid foster and other carers as running ...

Click to read more >

Can a director be paid before trade begins?

New Companies often incur start-up costs before they begin trading. But… is it sensible from a tax and NI point of vie...

Click to read more >

Vat when incorporating your business

The motive for incorporating a business, that is working through a company instead of being self-employed or in partners...

Click to read more >

How can we help?




Finally an accountancy team that are thinking about our pennies as much as we are!

Helen Lamoon
Colab Enterprise Ltd

Click to read the full testimonial >