Sorry. You need to upgrade your browser

You are using Internet Explorer 8

This is considered an out of date browser. This website has been developed with modern browsers in mind to allow it to display at its best in a wide variety of viewing situations - including mobile viewing. But we haven't supported older browsers like IE8. Please upgrade to the latest version of Internet Explorer - or try Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. Both are excellent browsers.

Thank you.

Chartered Certified Accountants
and Business Advisors

01530 267320

Vat when incorporating your business

The motive for incorporating a business, that is working through a company instead of being self-employed or in partnership, is often to reduce tax on profits and allow for more flexible tax planning. VAT doesn’t usually figure in the decision as the rules work similarly whatever the business structure. However, VAT issues do arise from the transfer itself and overlooking them can cost you.


Where an unincorporated business transferred to a company, the transaction is known as “transfer of a going concern” also known as TOGC, which is outside the scope of VAT. This means no VAT is chargeable even if the company pays the sole trader or partnership for its assets.


There are exceptions to TOGC rule; it won’t apply if the sole trader or partnership is VAT registered but the company isn’t and isn’t required to be. Failing to meet registration condition would mean that sole trader or partnership would have to charge the company VAT on the value of all assets it transfers to it.


To avoid the trap make sure the company is registered as an intending trader before the transfer takes place, or has applied to HMRC for registration to take effect from that date.


If your unincorporated business isn’t VAT registered, but will be after it has been transferred to a company, even if that’s months or years later, you need to take steps to avoid potentially losing out on reclaiming VAT. A company can’t reclaim VAT paid on purchases made by the predecessor.

24 Jul 2018

« Back to latest news

Latest news

What you need to know when your Company is Dormant...

A dormant company is not accountable for corporation tax purposes. There is no need to let Companies House know that you...

Click to read more >

Sence Alphabet

Do you know your Sence Alphabet? Annual Accounts Bookkeeping Compliant Digital ...

Click to read more >

VAT on hotel deposits

When you book a stay at a hotel for business use you usually have to put a deposit down at the time of booking, however,...

Click to read more >

Is it a Car or is it a Van?

The argument about whether a vehicle is a company car or van is back. It’s the differential in tax payable on company ...

Click to read more >

Teachers to have loans reimbursed

The government have now published details of how teachers in shortage subjects in certain parts of the country will be a...

Click to read more >

Tax and Paid Carers

When you foster children your local council will give you payments. HMRC treats paid foster and other carers as running ...

Click to read more >

Can a director be paid before trade begins?

New Companies often incur start-up costs before they begin trading. But… is it sensible from a tax and NI point of vie...

Click to read more >

Vat when incorporating your business

The motive for incorporating a business, that is working through a company instead of being self-employed or in partners...

Click to read more >

How can we help?




It has been painless and helpful and I can now access my accounts on the go through my phone and even file all my receipts and expenses in real time as they happen.

Mark Cooper
Langley Consulting Limited

Click to read the full testimonial >